Monday, June 20, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

Ah, the season of the first fruits from the garden ~ namely RHUBARB in our neck of the woods.  This year I washed, chopped and boiled up some.  Then let it drain out over night and we had JUICE...we added some apple juice and gingerale and it was yum-yum-in-the-tum....especially when we don't buy juice often.

Below is a recipe for a Strawberry Rhubarb Jam I made.  It is sweeter than I normally make and also runnier, so it went really well on ice cream, pancakes and also on a yellow cake we had.  It is still fine for on toast or bagels!

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam
Wash and cut up rhubarb...enough for 11 cups
Wash and slice 10 cups strawberries.
Add 3 cups white sugar.
Let sit overnight in the fridge. (I only did it this way because of some time restraints, in the morning the fruit had settled into a whole lot of juice! This may be why it was runnier, I'm not positive)
In the morning,
Add 3 cups white sugar and 2 packages of CERTO.
Heat up, add 1 package jell-o powder, I only had Raspberry on hand.  ( I did this because I was hoping to thicken it a little, I could've added more rhubarb...)
Heat to boiling, stirring.  Simmer some of the liquid down.  I never time this, just wait until I am ready with the jars.
Pour into HOT jars, use HOT lids.  Let sit on a towel on the counter and listen for POP POP POP.  Any jar that doesn't pop goes into the fridge to be eaten ASAP or back into the pot, heat up and try again.

This was too sweet for my liking, but it was yummy.  I normally do a recipe of equal amounts of rhubarb and strawberries.  Add some sugar to taste, then 1 pkg of CERTO and voila.  Most jams we make are just made to taste.  If you want to know if it will "set up", just take a spoon full of the hot jam, put it on a plate, cool, and you'll know how thick it is.  Rhubarb is a thickening fruit.  It goes so nicely with so many other fruits that I otherwise find too sweet.  I even added some to my blueberry jam.
THRIFTY NOTE:  Rhubarb is usually plentiful enough to grow your own for free, or harvest from a friend for free (or for a jar of the finished product!)  Adding it to other recipes stretches your dollar AND nutritional value.  It is a wonderful blood purifier.

No comments: