Friday, August 05, 2011

Giving, receiving and gratitude

I have been challenged in my devotions and through other life happenings to be more giving.

Giving in my life takes on many forms.  I have given of my time, my money, my food, my love.

Giving is sometimes hard when I feel like there is nothing to give or no one to give to.  I want my children to be giving and not expect to be given to.  There is so much joy in the giving and it has been wonderful to watch my girls faces as they give something to someone.  The thought that goes into it, and how genuine they are.

Gratitude, thankfulness, gratefulness, or appreciation is a positive emotion or attitude in acknowledgment of a benefit that one has received or will receive. 

Today I gave a peach and a homemade cookie on a yellow napkin to the homeless man in the park.  My hubby walked up to him and said "My wife made these cookies, they'll put hair on your chest".  Well, he took the peach and cookie and ate it.

I also gave 2 peppermint plants away to people I have never met before through a local website "Beg, Borrow, Barter".

Also took a bag full of garden produce/greens to a friend of ours who works and doesn't have extra time for a bunch of gardening.  They love to eat healthy, so it felt good to share with them from our garden.

Seeing needs around me, I wish I could do more.  That I could be nearer to offer a Mom some respite.  That I could walk some produce over to a neighbor or a piece of fresh baked pie.  Yes, missing Manitoba a little lately again.  August is difficult no matter how I approach it.

To experience and express true gratitude, I need to feel it and give no matter my circumstances.

Here's to more gratitude!

No comments: