Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mint Chocolate Beet Cake

 The only credit I can take from this awesome cake is that I made it ~ the recipe comes from a friend!
Choco Mint Beet Cake

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil (I use olive oil)
1 1/2 cups cooked mashed beets
1 tsp vanilla or mint
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I don't use any)
Preheat to 350 F
Beat eggs & sugar together in mixing bowl.  Add cooking oil, beets, and vanilla.  Mix.
Stir in flour, cocoa, banking soad, and salt.  Stir to moisten.  Spread in 8 x 11 1/2 cake pan (or 2 8" rounds).
Bake 50-55 min (if pan) or 30-35 min (if rounds).  Also, makes about 21 cupcakes - bake just under 350 F for 20-25 min.
Variation:  can add peppermint flavouring for Choco Mint Beet Cake.

Can you tell I added the beets?
 I had some beets frozen and they were perfect for mashing up.  Thought maybe I should blender them, but just used a potato masher and kept all their juice in.
Added the cocoa
The cake was a wonderful burgundy color batter and smelled delicious while it was baking.
Choco Mint Beet Cake
I have this one suggestion to make:  Wait until the next day to eat it as it will taste even better than it smells the day before!  It disappeared VERY quickly in this house!

1 comment:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Yum!

And hey, is that a Bosch you're using? Made me smile because I grew up with Bosch's since my Grandma used to sell them. I have all kinds of fancy attachments if you ever want to borrow. Blender, food processor, berry press, even an attachment for making your own ground meat, etc. We used that one recently while making a huge batch of Shepherd's Pies for our freezer. =)