Monday, April 02, 2012

Gluten Free Fruit Crisp Recipe ~ Apple, Rhubarb, Peach...

I love this recipe I have been using from my dear friend in Manitoba.  Now what to do about gluten free?  Well, it only had 1 cup flour in it, so I substituted 1/2 cup corn FLOUR and 1/2 cup brown rice flour.  Delicious!

Apple or Rhubarb Crisp

4 1/2 -5 cups chopped fruit ( I have used ANY fruit I have on hand, frozen or not)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp water (omit if fruit was frozen)
1/2 cup sugar (try honey too!)
1/4 tsp ginger
Combine all the above in mixing bowl.
In another bowl,
melt
1/2 cup butter/marg
1 cup brown sugar
Stir
Add:
1 cup other gluten free flour (either a mix, or 1/2 cup corn flour and 1/2 cup brown rice flour as I tried)  UPDATE:  We like a blend of coconut flour/arrowroot flour better.  It is more expensive though.  Any other GF flour mix works, but I have actually reduced this to 3/4 cup.
AND 2 Cups Rolled Oats.

Put fruit in pan, pour crumb mixture on top.
Bake 350F for approx 45 minutes.

This recipe has never failed me ~ the secret may be in melting the butter and brown sugar together first.

No comments: