Sunday, June 03, 2012

Dandelion Syrup Recipes

Ok, so I've been playing around with the idea of using dandelions as food... I'm going to buy some organic lemons and make a dandelion lemonade as well.

Now, I've made 2 batches of dandelion syrup (as in pancake type syrup).  I think the 2nd batch turned out a little better than my first try.  I blogged about that on my other blog, click HERE  for that.

My syrup is a typical pancake syrup consistency, not a corn syrup one.  It is very nice in tea or on plain yogurt.

The 2nd time I basically twisted the yellow bloom part off the dandelion and had very little green in it.  Put 8 cups of water over it, boiled for a few minutes, then let sit overnight.  Strained, simmered it for a long time after adding 2 cups of brown sugar.  It is very very sweet to our taste buds.  I put it in hot sterilized jars and it did seal, but it is in our fridge and I'm trying to use it up as I'm not sure how long it would last.
Next thing to try is just putting some of the bloom pieces into corn muffins from a previous post.

No comments: